Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

PetMD Seal

Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Dogs

Metaldehyde Poisoning in Dogs

 

Metaldehyde -- an ingredient of slug and snail baits, and sometimes solid fuel for camp stoves --  is poisonous in dogs, primarily affecting their nervous system. This type of poisoning is often seen in coastal and low-lying areas, where use of slug and snail bait is customary. And even though metaldehyde poisoning can be seen in both dogs and cats, it is more common in dogs.

 

Symptoms and Types

 

 

Causes

 

Metaldehyde ingestion.

 

Diagnosis

 

You will need to give a thorough history of your dog’s health, including the onset and nature of the symptoms, to your veterinarian. The questions may specifically pertain to exposure to slug and snail baits or other sources of metaldehyde. He or she will then conduct a complete physical examination, as well as a biochemistry profile, urinalysis, and complete blood count (CBC) -- the results of which may be varied. A definitive diagnosis is typically made by verifying the presence of metaldehyde in bodily fluids (e.g., vomitus, stomach contents, and urine).

 

 

Treatment

 

A dog suffering from metaldehyde poisoning is the type of emergency which will need immediate hospitalization and treatment. Unfortunately, there is no antidote available. The only course of treatment is to eliminate the metaldehyde from the dog's body. Your veterinarian will pump the dog's stomach and, if it is not convulsing, give activated charcoal to absorb the poison in the stomach and intestines. The dog will be restrained to prevent injury. Fluids are also often necessary to rehydrate the dog.

 

Living and Management

 

It is important to not feed a dog that is convulsing or vomiting. Overall prognosis ultimately depends on the amount of metaldehyde ingested, time to treatment, and quality of care provided. If left untreated, however, a dog may die within few hours of ingestion. Watch your dog for vomiting and other symptoms, and call your veterinarian immediately.

 

 

Related Articles

Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs
This poisoning occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin,...
READ MORE
Mushroom, Mold, Yeast Poisoning in Dogs
Mycotoxicosis is a term used to denote poisoning by food products contaminated by...
READ MORE
Rat Poison Toxicity in Dogs
Poisoning by pesticides and rodenticides is one of the most common household dangers...
READ MORE

Do you have an emergency kit for your pet(s)?

  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»
Search dog Articles

 

Latest In Dog Nutrition

How Obesity May Shorten Your Pet's Lifespan
Obesity is a nationwide epidemic for our pets. Unfortunately, being obese can shorten...
READ MORE
5 Reasons Life Stage Diets Help Improve Pet ...
Balanced and complete nutrition is important for any animal. However, the nutritional...
READ MORE
Pet Food Ingredients that Promote Longer Life
Pet foods, in order to promote a healthy long life, must be balanced and complete...
READ MORE
Around the Web
MORE FROM PETMD.COM