Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Dogs
A dog suffering from metaldehyde poisoning is the type of emergency which will need immediate hospitalization and treatment. Unfortunately, there is no antidote available. The only course of treatment is to eliminate the metaldehyde from the dog's body. Your veterinarian will pump the dog's stomach and, if it is not convulsing, give activated charcoal to absorb the poison in the stomach and intestines. The dog will be restrained to prevent injury. Fluids are also often necessary to rehydrate the dog.
Living and Management
It is important to not feed a dog that is convulsing or vomiting. Overall prognosis ultimately depends on the amount of metaldehyde ingested, time to treatment, and quality of care provided. If left untreated, however, a dog may die within few hours of ingestion. Watch your dog for vomiting and other symptoms, and call your veterinarian immediately.
Any material that has been ejected through vomiting
An in-depth examination of the properties of urine; used to determine the presence or absence of illness
An increase in respiration rate and depth of breathing
Any substance used to combat the effects of certain poisons.
The prediction of a disease’s outcome in advance
Parasite Drug (Ivermectin) Poisoning in Dogs
This poisoning occurs especially in dogs that are genetically hypersensitive to ivermectin,...
Mushroom, Mold, Yeast Poisoning in Dogs
Mycotoxicosis is a term used to denote poisoning by food products contaminated by...
Latest In Dog Nutrition
How Antioxidants Improve Our Pet's Health, ...
The science behind pet nutrition continues to make major advances. One such example...
How Obesity May Shorten Your Pet's Lifespan
Obesity is a nationwide epidemic for our pets. Unfortunately, being obese can shorten...