Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy

or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

PetMD Seal

Mushroom, Mold, Yeast Poisoning in Dogs


Mycotoxicosis (Tremogenic Toxins) in Dogs


Mycotoxicosis is a term used to denote poisoning by food products contaminated by fungi (i.e., moldy bread, cheese, English walnuts, or even a backyard compost). As well as being toxic to humans, fungi release various toxins, also called mycotoxins, that are toxic to cats and dogs.


Symptoms and Types


The severity and type of symptom will ultimately depend on the amount and type of mycotoxin ingested. Some of the more common symptoms associated with mycotoxicosis include:


  • Muscle tremors
  • Seizures
  • Panting
  • Hyperactivity
  • Vomiting
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Weakness
  • Increased heart rate
  • Increased body temperature
  • Dehydration
  • Lack of appetite (anorexia)




Ingestion of mushrooms, moldy food, or garbage and other decomposing organic matter.




You will need to give the veterinarian a thorough history of your dog’s health, including the onset and nature of the symptoms, and any possible exposure to mushrooms, moldy food, or decomposing organic matter. He or she will then perform a complete physical examination, as well a biochemistry profile, urinalysis, and complete blood count (CBC). These tests will help rule out other causes for tremors and seizures.


More advanced tests (thin-layer chromatography, bile analysis) are available to analyze the contents of the stomach and vomit, which should definitely confirm or refute the diagnosis.




Related Articles

Vitamin D Poisoning in Dogs

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin (i.e., stored in the fatty tissues of the body and liver) that is vital in regulating the calcium and phosphorous...

Toxicity from Gum, Candy, and Toothpaste in Dogs

Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs can be caused by gums, candies, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and baked goods. Learn the symptoms and treatments options...

Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Dogs

Metaldehyde -- an ingredient of slug and snail baits, and sometimes solid fuel for camp stoves -- is poisonous in dogs, primarily affecting...

Rat Poison Toxicity in Dogs

Poisoning by pesticides and rodenticides is one of the most common household dangers to your pet. In this case, zinc phosphide poisoning will...