Treatment for Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs
Mushroom poisoning is an emergency that will require immediate hospitalization. Often, activated charcoal is given by mouth to bind the toxins present in the stomach and intestines. The dog also undergoes fluid therapy to stabilize fluid levels and enhance urination, which helps in the elimination of toxins. Depending on the type of mushroom and severity of the complications, a veterinarian may even choose to induce vomiting.
Living and Management
With treatment, overall prognosis is typically good, especially if stomach washing is initiated hours within ingestion. However, it ultimately depends on the amount of mushrooms ingested and the toxicity of the mushroom. For example, group I mushrooms are severely toxic.
In addition, some symptoms associated with mushroom toxicity are only seen later when liver and kidney complications occur. Your veterinarian will typically evaluate the liver and kidney functions through laboratory testing every 24 or 48 hours. You should nevertheless inform him or her if you should observe any untoward symptoms in the dog.
An in-depth examination of the properties of urine; used to determine the presence or absence of illness
The prediction of a disease’s outcome in advance
Low amounts of glucose in the blood
The digestive tract containing the stomach and intestine
A condition in which the skin becomes yellow in color as do the mucous membranes; this is due to excess amounts of bilirubin.