Sago Palm Poisoning in Cats
If ingestion has just occurred and symptoms are not present, vomiting may be induced by a doctor using hydrogen peroxide or ipecac. Consult your veterinarian immediately if you suspect or know that your cat has eaten any part of a sago palm. Activated charcoal may also be used to absorb the poison in the stomach. Gastric lavage (“pumping the stomach”) may also be necessary.
If evidence of liver disease is evident via clinical signs or abnormalities in blood and/or urine tests, then additional treatment will be necessary. Fluid therapy and blood or plasma transfusions will be required. Controlling vomiting with anti-emetic medications is recommended. Antibiotics, gastrointestinal protectants and vitamin K may be administered by your veterinarian also. S-Adenosylmethionine, Ursodeoxycholic acid, or vitamin E may be of benefit as well.
Avoid ingestion by keeping sago palms out of the reach of your cat. Ideally, all sago palms should be removed from your yard if they are present.
Irritating tissue with a great deal of some type of fluid
The digestive tract containing the stomach and intestine
Any substance that creates the urge to vomit