Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

PetMD Seal

Adverse Reaction in Cats to Glow Jewelry

Dibutyl Phthalate Ingestion in Cats

 

Glow jewelry, which is available in the form of glow sticks, glow bracelets, glow necklaces and more, contain a chemical that glows in the dark and are particularly popular around the July 4 holiday and Halloween. However, when chewed or ingested by your cat, the chemical inside of the sticks and/or jewelry cause an intense reaction to the taste of the chemical.

 

This adverse reaction associated with glow jewelry can affect both dogs and cats. If you would like to learn more about how it affects dogs, please visit this page in the petMD health library.

 

Symptoms and Types

 

When cats bite into or ingest glow jewelry or glow sticks, the chemical dibutyl phthalate causes an intense taste reaction. Symptoms seen include:

 

  • Drooling
  • Pawing at the mouth
  • Agitation/irritation
  • Vomiting (rare)

 

Other than the reaction to the bad taste, glow sticks and glow jewelry are generally not toxic.

 

Causes

 

It is the chemical found in glow sticks and other glow jewelry named dibutyl phthalate which may cause adverse reactions in cats and that cats find offensive.

 

Diagnosis

 

In addition to taking the cat's medical history, a veterinarian will observe your cat for signs and symptoms associated with ingesting dibutyl phthalate.

 

 

Treatment

 

Generally, no treatment is needed for cats that ingest glow jewelry. However, providing water or food to diminish the taste of the glow stick/jewelry can be useful in alleviating symptoms. Washing the chemical off of your cat’s fur and skin with shampoo and water is also recommended. Taking your pet into a darkened room can help you locate the chemical on your cat’s fur and skin to aid in removal.

 

Prevention

 

The best way to prevent accidental ingestion is to keep glow sticks and glow jewelry out of your cat's reach.

 

 

Does your pet have an identification tag or microchip?

  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»
Search cat Articles

 

 

Around the Web
MORE FROM PETMD.COM