Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy

or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

PetMD Seal

Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Cats




A cat suffering from metaldehyde poisoning is the type of emergency which will need immediate hospitalization and treatment. Unfortunately, there is no antidote available. The only course of treatment is to eliminate the metaldehyde from the cat's body. Your veterinarian will pump the cat's stomach and, if it is not convulsing, give activated charcoal to absorb the poison in the stomach and intestines. The cat will be restrained to prevent injury. Fluids are also often necessary to rehydrate the cat.


Living and Management


It is important to not feed a cat that is convulsing or vomiting. Overall prognosis ultimately depends on the amount of metaldehyde ingested, time to treatment, and quality of care provided. If left untreated, however, a cat may die within few hours of ingestion. Watch your cat for vomiting and other symptoms, and call your veterinarian immediately.



Related Articles

Insecticide Toxicity in Cats

Exposure to insecticides, especially after heavy or repeated applications of the chemicals, may be toxic to cats. Learn more about the symptoms...

Mushroom, Mold, Yeast Poisoning in Cats

The term “mycotoxicosis” is used to denote poisoning by food products contaminated by fungi (i.e., moldy bread, cheese, English walnuts, or even...

Zinc Phosphide Poisoning in Cats

Poisoning by pesticides and rodenticides is one of the most common household dangers to your cat. In this case, zinc phosphide poisoning will...

Poisoning in Cats

Poisoning in cats occurs when a cat ingests a foreign material and if left untreated can be fatal. Learn the symptoms and treatment options....