Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

PetMD Seal

Mushroom, Mold, Yeast Poisoning in Cats

ADVERTISEMENT

Treatment

 

A cat suffering from mycotoxin poisoning is the type of emergency which will need immediate hospitalization and treatment. Your veterinarian will pump the cat's stomach and, if it is not convulsing, give activated charcoal to absorb the toxic material in the stomach and intestines. Overall prognosis is good if treatment begins soon after ingestion of the fungi.

 

Living and Management

 

Watch your cat for recurrence of symptoms and call your veterinarian immediately if tremors, seizures, or any other untoward symptom develops. Most cats recover within 24 to 48 hours after treatment. However, some animals may recover more slowly and take a few weeks for the symptoms to subside.

 

Prevention

 

In order to prevent your cat from eating raw mushrooms or other moldy food material, you should remove any harmful items from the backyard and safely secure a compost heap, should you have one. It is also helpful to pay attention to your cat when it roams outdoors.

 

 

Related Articles

Vitamin D Poisoning in Cats
Vitamin D is vital in regulating the calcium and phosphorous balance in your cat's...
READ MORE
Insecticide Toxicity in Cats
Organophosphate and Carbamate Toxicity   Areas that are...
READ MORE
Snail, Slug Bait Poisoning in Cats
Slug and snail baits, and sometimes solid fuel for camp stoves all contain metaldehyde,...
READ MORE
  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»
Around the Web
MORE FROM PETMD.COM