Surgical removal of a parasite from a cat’s brain has never been reported. However, there are medications to relieve symptoms caused by the parasite. Anti-epileptic drugs help prevent seizures, while intravenous (IV) fluids ensure the cat maintains good nutritional status.
A drug treatment designed to kill the parasite is also available, but only used if the symptoms have been occurring for less than one week. After a longer period, it is likely the parasite has died.
Living and Management
After initial treatment, periodic neurological evaluations are recommended. Many cats return to their normal state, but in some cases complications may continue. These depend on the amount of damage done by the parasite, and can include uncontrolled seizures, compulsive circling, and other behavioral changes.
The primary method of prevention is to limit cats to the indoors, especially during summer months.
A change in the way that tissue is constructed; a sore
An insect that has hatched from an egg but has not yet reached the pupal stage
A disease of the brain of any type
A large blood vessel that transports blood out of the heart.
Extreme loss of blood