Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

petMD Blogs

Written by leading veterinarians to provide you with the information you need to care for your pets.

The Daily Vet by petMD

The Daily Vet is a blog featuring veterinarians from all walks of life. Every week they will tackle entertaining, interesting, and sometimes difficult topics in the world of animal medicine – all in the hopes that their unique insights and personal experiences will help you to understand your pets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Winter has so far been relatively mild in my part of the world. However, that does not mean that winter hazards do not still exist for your pet. Antifreeze is one such hazard.

Antifreeze is toxic for both dogs and cats. The toxicity is dose related and even a very small amount of antifreeze can be lethal for a small pet such as your cat. For the average cat, as little as one teaspoon of antifreeze can be lethal. To make matters even worse, antifreeze apparently has a sweet flavor that actually attracts many animals.

Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which is the toxic compound in the substance. Ethylene glycol can also be found in several other automotive products (windshield fluid, motor oil, brake fluid, etc.), as well as in some paints and solvents.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning in cats will initially resemble alcohol toxicity. Signs will include drunken behavior such as incoordination and drooling. Vomiting can occur. Seizures may also be seen. Your cat may seem thirsty as well and may urinate more than normal.

After this initial phase, your cat may appear to improve for a short time. However, during this time, the chemical is still damaging your cat’s kidneys. Within a day or less, your cat will begin to experience symptoms of acute kidney failure. Lack of appetite, depression, vomiting, seizures, coma and eventually death will be the result.

Immediate veterinary intervention is critical in saving a cat that has ingested antifreeze. The sooner treatment is initiated, the greater the chance of survival. Fomepizole (or 4-MP) is one potential antidote for ethylene glycol poisoning and is used reasonably successfully in dogs if administered within 8 hours of ingestion. However, in cats, treatment with fomepizole must be started within three hours of ingestion in order to be effective. Ethanol may be used as an antidote as well. For cats, treatment with ethanol must be started within eight hours of ingestion. Ethanol treatment does have side effects of its own, including enhancing the central nervous system depression caused by the ethylene glycol itself.

Even with the fomepizole or ethanol treatments, supportive treatment will likely be necessary for your cat as well. Fluid administration is usually recommended concurrent with fomepizole or ethanol treatment. Acidosis may be severe as a result of the toxicity and may need to be treated as well.

Once kidney damage has occurred, the likelihood of a successful treatment for your cat is much lower. When fomepizole or ethanol treatment is not initiated within a few hours of ingestion, even more aggressive treatment, including hemodialysis, will be necessary to try to save your cat. Even so, many cats do not survive.

Protect your cat from antifreeze or ethylene glycol poisoning by storing substances that contain ethylene glycol in a secure location that your cat cannot access. If antifreeze is spilled, clean up the spill immediately and check your vehicles regularly for signs of leaks.

If you know or suspect that your cat has ingested antifreeze or another substance containing ethylene glycol, seek veterinary care immediately. Do not wait to see if your cat gets sick. By then, it will likely be too late to save your cat.

Dr. Lorie Huston

Image: berna namoglu / via Shutterstock

Comments  4

Leave Comment
  • Garage
    01/14/2013 06:32am

    I cringe when I hear people say that allow their indoor-only kitties into the garage to play.

    Cars can leak antifreeze and kitties can crawl into engines.

    Please, please, please keep your kitties indoors and out of the garage.

  • good news?
    01/14/2013 01:20pm

    I found this on a website:

    "In 2013 all newly sold and distributed anti-freeze in the 50 states will have a bittering agent added so that it no longer tastes appealing. Be aware that many people will still have traditional, sweet tasting, antifreeze in their vehicles and garages. Toxicity can still happen."

    http://www.perimeterveterinarycenter.com/antifreeze-and-pets/

    Hope this is true.

  • 01/14/2013 01:56pm

    You still need to be careful. It doesn't take much to cause toxicity. In addition, cats are the only mammal known so far as to not have a taste for sweet (which was thereason people were giving for cats drinking it in the first place). So while bitterness might dissuae, if they are thirsty or curious, it is still a risk. I take my antifreeze to the gas station because if any is spilled, they have materials to clean up the liquid.

  • Antifreeze poisoning
    01/14/2013 04:26pm

    A friend lost her cat who drank from a puddle under a car that had some anti-freeze in it, so even diluted it is still deadly. A neighbor saw and knew there was antifreeze in the puddle but didn't know exactly who the cat belonged to and couldn't catch her. By the time she saw the cat at home the next day and told her owner, the cat was past the initial symptoms but had already begun to show symptoms of kidney failure. Even though they got her into treatment immediately it was more than 24 hours after she'd ingested it and they just couldn't stop her kidneys from failing.

    Sadly, it was the final thing to convince my friend to keep her cats indoors.

Meet The Vets

  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»