Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.

petMD Blogs

Written by leading veterinarians to provide you with the information you need to care for your pets.

The Daily Vet by petMD

The Daily Vet is a blog featuring veterinarians from all walks of life. Every week they will tackle entertaining, interesting, and sometimes difficult topics in the world of animal medicine – all in the hopes that their unique insights and personal experiences will help you to understand your pets.

There are a number of plants that are holiday favorites, including poinsettias, holly, mistletoe, Christmas cactus, and, of course, the ever present holiday tree. Let’s talk about these plants and how they might affect your cat.

 

Poinsettias, though often described as being toxic, are actually over-rated in terms of their danger. If ingested, they may cause minor intestinal upset such as diarrhea and/or vomiting. Typically, symptoms are self-limiting and not life-threatening.

 

The Christmas cactus is another commonly seen holiday plant. They also are considered non-toxic and, like poinsettias, may cause mild intestinal upset if ingested.

 

Unlike poinsettias and Christmas cactuses, amaryllis plants are toxic. The bulb is particularly dangerous, causing low blood pressure, weakness, incoordination, tremors, and seizures if ingested. Ingestion of the bulb is, fortunately, not common though. Most often, cats chew on the leaves or flowers, which causes excessive salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea.

 

Holly is another plant that can potentially be toxic if ingested in large enough quantities. Gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, lack of appetite) and depression may be seen. Fortunately, the plant is somewhat prickly, which seems to discourage ingestion for many cats. Still, your cat should be kept away from holly or decorations containing holly.

 

Mistletoe is another commonly seen Christmas ornament. There are two forms of mistletoe: the American form and the European form. Most toxicities in the United States involve the American form. Ingestion of small quantities of the leaves or berries may only cause stomach upset. However, larger exposures may result in cardiovascular compromise and may be life-threatening. Often, when purchased commercially, the berries have been replaced with plastic beads. These beads are not dangerous unless swallowed. However, they can be swallowed by a curious cat and can become dangerous as a foreign body.

 

Though not truly a holiday plant, lilies are often found in Christmas bouquets and centerpieces. These plants and flowers are extremely toxic to your cat, even in small quantities. All parts of the true lilies are considered toxic and can cause kidney damage when ingested. Keep all lilies out of the reach of your cat. If your cat ingests any part of a true lily, seek veterinary care immediately. If treatment is instituted within 18 hours of ingestion, it may be possible to save your cat. After 18 hours, the prognosis decreases significantly.

 

Many homes feature trees during the holiday season. These trees can pose a threat for your cat also. There are many different types of trees that are used and decorated for the season. Most of them can cause vomiting, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, and depression if the needles are ingested. Needles from these trees may pose a threat as a gastrointestinal foreign body if ingested. In addition, water used to keep the tree fresh may contain fertilizers, other chemicals, or bacteria and mold, all of which may be toxic to your pet if ingested.

 

If in doubt about the safety of a plant, it is best to place the plant out of your cat’s reach. If your cat has ingested part of a plant which you believe may be dangerous, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline immediately.

 

Dr. Lorie Huston

 

Image: Steve Heap / Shutterstock

 

Comments  1

Leave Comment
  • Artificial Trees
    12/02/2013 06:59pm

    Back when I put up a tree, I got a beautiful artificial tree, mistakenly thinking the cats might play on it, but wouldn't try to eat it.

    I was wrong. Right away, I caught Darlene (RIP) happily munching the plastic needles.

    Rather than take a chance on a trip to the emergency room during the holidays, the tree came down and the tree is still sitting in a box in the basement.

Meet The Vets

Does your pet have an identification tag or microchip?

  • Lifetime Credits:
  • Today's Credits:
Hurry Before All Seats are Taken!
Enroll
Be an A++ Pet Parent! Take fun & free courses to earn badges & certifications. Choose a course»

Top Current Topics