Q. My dog has ate a sock. Is it going to hurt her? If so what can I do
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.
A. If your dog has swallowed a sock the possibility that it will hurt her is unfortunately pretty good. Socks can very easily obstruct the GI tract, and either get stuck trying to get out of the stomach or once they get out of the stomach they'll get stuck in the intestines. The best and safest way to get them out is with an endoscope, which can be done if they're still in the stomach. Otherwise surgery will have to be done to remove it.
Sometimes socks will come up when we make a dog vomit, but it doesn't always happen.
A. It has the potential to cause an obstruction. If she has eaten it recently, have her seen by your vet or at a local veterinary ER immediately. Either can induce vomiting in your dog and hopefully get the sock up and out.