Q. My 90lb swallowed a Venlafaxine - 150mg Er Cap , do I need to take him to the vet:?
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.
A. While this is not a commonly used drug in veterinary medicine I can find some references that vets have used it at 2mg/kg. At 90 pounds your dog is about 40 kilos, so the suggested dose for him would be 80 mg. So at 150 mg you might see signs of "serotonin syndrome", which could include a lot of things including diarrhea, increased heart rate and breathing rate, confusion, stumbling, and high blood pressure. I would advise taking him in to a vet so that they can induce vomiting and try to get the pill out, and then treat as appropriately if toxicity signs occur.