Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.


Q. What happens if my dog eats a rat that has died from ingesting antifreeze? Will he ethylene glycol kill the dog too, or is it digested enough by then?

Answered By
DR. CHRISTIE LONG, D.V.M., C.V.A.

A. I have to say I have never been presented with this question, nor do I see anything like it in any of my veterinary resources. Dogs eat rats that have been exposed to rat poison all the time, and that's not usually enough to cause harm in the dog. However, because I cannot tell you with any certainty about how a rat's body metabolizes antifreeze and whether it is toxic by secondary ingestion, I would most certainly take your dog in for blood work today and an exam to make sure that he is OK.


DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.