Q. Our dog was chewing on a Citronella candle? Will she be ok?
DR. MASSIMO ORIOLES, DVM, MRCVS
A. The toxicity depends on how much citronella Candle your dog has ingested and the size of your dog. Small/moderate quantities usually may lead to gastrointestinal signs such as diarrhea, vomiting but do not cause any other systemic or gastrointestinal signs.
A bland diet (boiled chicken and rice in smaller portions) for the next 24-48 hours is usually recommendable.
If signs such as depression, lethargy, inappetence, abdominal pain/discomfort or severe vomiting/diarrhoea with blood should occur, I would strongly recommend to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible and take her for a check up and appropriate treatment. Gastrointestinal obstructions might happen and that would require immediate veterinary attention.