Q. My dog does NOT have degenerative myelopathy but has similar symptoms. What else can it be?
DR. MASSIMO ORIOLES, DVM, MRCVS
A. Thanks for your question.
These are the other conditions that should be taken into consideration (not in order of importance) as differential diagnosis:
- Neoplastic disease (primary or metastatic);
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD);
- Inflammatory conditions as infective or myelitis of unknown origin;
- Vascular (spinal cord infarct);
- Orthopaedic disorders (hip dysplasia for example) and L4-S1 disease (lumbo sacral stenosis (LSS) for example) could be present and should be considered in the diagnostic process.
I am happy to discuss with you this problem any further if you like (please request a consultation).