Q. My dog is 37 kilo and early hours ths morn ingested around six iron pills, no label.what should I do?
DR. MASSIMO ORIOLES, DVM, MRCVS
A. Iron could be toxic at dosage equal or higher than 20mg/kg.
There are different stages of the intoxication, depending when the pills were ingested.
Diarrhea, depression, gastrointestinal hemorrhage and abdominal pain are common signs.
Unfortunately there may be an asymptomatic or apparent recovery period that could last even 24 hours, so I would recommend to take him to your veterinarian anyway to be checked and have first treatment to prevent or reduce absorption.