Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.


Q. My puppy ate some milk chocolate frosting she is 3/4 Chihuahua and 1/4 yorkshire terror she is 3 months old and about 2 pounds

Answered By
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS

A. she is very small so potentially even a small amount could cause some toxic effects. It really depend on the amount of milk chocolate frosting she ate. If she had a very small amount monitor her for vomiting and lethargy. If those symptoms seem to get worst take her to the vet right away. If she ate a big amount and did not throw up right after I would also advice to take her to the vet ASAP in order to induce vomiting and give her some charcoal that will hopefully absorb the rest of the frosting in the intestinal tract. If she is no that bad continue monitoring her, you should expect some diarrhea tomorrow!

Answered By
DR. MASSIMO ORIOLES, DVM, MRCVS

A. The toxicity would depend on much milk chocolate she ate. Unfortunately she is very small and a minimal ingestion would be toxic. Even though milk chocolate is less toxic than dark one, I would suggest to take her to your veterinarian for a check up and appropriate treatment as soon as possible. Your veterinarian may make her sick and give her appropriate treatment to decrease the absorption and the toxic effects of the chocolate.


DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.