Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.


Q. I think my dog might of ate a tiny amount of old slug pellets

Answered By
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS

A. The active ingredient is usually Metaldehyde which is highly poisonous to dogs, but it depends on the quantity ingested and the size of your dog.

symptoms of toxicity includes: Anxiety

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Excessive panting

Excessive drooling

Uncoordinated walk

Muscle tremors

Convulsions

Hyperthermia

Increased sensitivity to light, touch, and/or sounds

Increased respiration

I would advice to give a call to the pet poison helpline to know if he needs to immediately to the vet or not : 855-764-7661

Answered By
ANGEL ALVARADO

A. There are two types of slug bait, iron phosphate or metaldehyde baits. Both are toxic, with the iron phosphate type being less toxic. Your dog should see your vet as soon as you can in either case but immediately if the bait is the metaldehyde form. Vomiting should be induced by your vet which may be followed up by activated charcoal. Monitor for nausea/vomiting, abdominal pain, tarry stools, lethargy, weak/rapid pulse, low blood pressure, fever, difficulty breathing and collapse. These signs can appear within 6 hours of ingestion.


DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.