Q. What should I do, my 8 month old puppy just swallowed a rock? She is a miniature schnauzer.
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS
A. If the rock is big enough, she will not be able to pass it through her intestines and will require surgery in order to remove it. If it's a small rock it might just pass through with the feces.
You can give small amounts of mineral oil twice a day to help it "slide" and check her stools every day.
DR. ANDREA M. BRODIE, DVM
A. If your puppy JUST swallowed the rock, ie within the past 2 hrs then IMMEDIATELY take him to a Pet ER or a vet to have them induce vomiting. This will prevent the rock from moving out of the stomach into the intestine and possibly cause an intestinal obstruction.