Q. My 20lb spanial ate an ageless oxygen absorber which I believe contained iron. The ageless website said it was non-toxic but I read it was toxic
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS
A. Elemental iron can cause severe poisoning, even in the small amounts contained in one oxygen absorber packet.2 It is very irritating to the GI tract and has direct corrosive effects. After ingestion, vomiting (with or without blood) is one of the first signs of poisoning. In fact, vomiting is such a common finding that if a dog does not vomit, itâ€™s probable that a toxic dose was not ingested. If the dose is large enough to cause poisoning, severe metabolic acidosis, shock and hepatic toxicity can develop 1 -5 days after the exposure.
I recommend taking your dog to vet ASAP to get treatment.