Q. 16 lb. Tabby, very large, not fat. 8 years old ate one 2,000 I.U. D-3 Vitamin D soft gel capsule one hour ago. Ate dinner 10 minutes later. How toxic?
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA
A. Vomiting, muscle twitching and weakness, increased thirst and urination, kidney damage and seizures can all develop with excess vitamin d levels. Vitamin D is stored well in the body so any that is ingested is added to the natural reserve and it is the total body level rather than the new dose which will determine any problems.
The toxic level is expected to be 0.1mg/kg; 2000iu is approximately 0.05mg so your cat would be estimated to have ingested 0.007mg/kg extra with this tablet. Monitor very closely for any signs of illness or discomfort and a blood test to rule out kidney complications may be advisable especially if there is any chance she could regularly help herself