Q. My dog ate something from the ground and swallowed it before I got to her. What I do
DR. ANDREA M. BRODIE, DVM
A. If you think it was something detrimental to his health (rodenticide, drugs, possibly poison bait or similar) then I suggest you take him to your vet or a pet ER where they can make him vomit. This will only work if it happens within about 2 hrs after ingesting the item. Otherwise watch for signs of diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, abdominal pain, seizures and other signs of discomfort. If these appear within the next 24 hrs, take your dog to a vet or Pet ER.