Q. I applied by mistake a flea and tick product (Advantix) containing permethrin to my cat. What should I do about it?
DANA KOCH, VMD, MLAS
A. First, you should alert your veterinarian of the inappropriate application. Your veterinarian will determine if permethrin poisoning is present.
The following treatment protocol is usually recommended:
1. Decontamination with washing
2. Monitoring of neurologic signs
3. Obtaining access to veins in order to administer necessary fluids or medications
4. Regulation of temperature
5. Stabilization of vital organs