Q. Chocolate - one regular chocolate bar and two large gooie gooess. Should I make her vomit? Small 30 lb female sheltie. 14 yrs old.
A. Since it has been well over two hours at this point, vomiting won't accomplish anything useful. The effects of chocolate on a pet depends on a few factors: how big the pet is, how much they ate, and how dark the chocolate is. The darker the chocolate, the higher the concentration of theobromine, the ingredient that pets are sensitive to.
Your pet should be seen by your veterinarian right away. Chocolate is a toxin that will affect your pet's nervous system and can cause seizures and death. It depends on the size of your pet and the amount and concentration of chocolate he consumed. Make sure to take the package with you so you can let your veterinarian know what they're dealing with. They will do an exam, bloodwork and possibly an ECG to see if the heart is having any arrhythmias.