Q. My 5 month old puppy is being sick, we think she has eaten something. She also won't eat her food or any treats or crackers we give her.
A. If you believe she may have ingested something toxic, seek veterinary attention immediately. Monitor for extreme lethargy, abdominal pain or unsuccessful attempts to vomit. If she didn't ingest a toxin, try withholding all food and treats for 12-24 hours. Allow small amounts of water or unflavored PediaLyte. Resume feeding a bland diet (1:1 ratio of plain boiled boneless chicken and plain white rice). Feed in small, frequent amounts waiting at least one hour between feedings. Serve warmed or mix in a teaspoon of baby food to stimulate the appetite. If the GI upset does not resolve or the appetite does not return, you will need to see your veterinarian.
LINDSEY EDWARDS MVB, BSC, IVCA
A. If she has eaten something which could be causing an obstruction this needs urgent veterinary assessment and may require surgery. Do not delay the appointment as dehydration can develop rapidly and makes treatment much more difficult