Q. I have a Shih Tzu pupy, 2 years old, about 13 lbs. He chewed a tou that had plastic rings on it and swallowed it up. This morning he threw up again an
A. When dogs eat any object we are concerned about the occurrence of a foreign body obstruction. This is when a foreign item becomes stuck in the gastrointestinal tract and causes a blockage. This is a serious condition that is deadly if left untreated. I'd recommend having your dog seen by a veterinarian right away, especially because he has begun vomiting. X-rays and/or a barium study can determine if the plastic rings are causing an obstruction and often the treatment is emergency surgery. It is best not to let this condition go untreated as parts of the digestive tract can die if the object is blocking off blood flow.