Q. My sister's dog swallowed a 15mg morphine pill. What should I do and will he get sick?
A. It is difficult to say without knowing the size of her dog. Morphine is used in veterinary medicine but can have side effects especially if the animal is given too large of a dose. 15mg is a safe dose for a dog that weighs about 15-20lbs. I would still recommend you call your veterinarian for further advice.
A. It may cause sedation, agitation or vomiting. The effects depend on the dog's weight. If the ingestion was in the past 30 minutes, seek veterinary attention. The vet can induce vomiting then provide supportive care until the drug is metabolized. A call to the vet or animal poison control should let you know if there is risk of overdose.
DAVID ELBEZE, DVM, MRCVS
A. The maximum amount of morphine a dog can get without risking intoxication is about 1mg/lbs. If your dog is over 15lbs he should be OK but expect him to be heavily sedated and experience vomiting.
If he is any less than that you need to rush him to the vet ASAP.