Q. My dog ate 2 candy bars, a Snickers and M&Ms. Is this toxic? He is a 13.4 lbs Chorckie. He drank water and ate some carrots too
JESSICA L DESROSIERS
A. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate is usually more harmful than milk chocolate products, as the cocoa content (which is the toxic part) is higher, however any chocolate product if eaten in a high enough amount can be harmful.
It is best to contact your local veterinarian or emergency clinic for care if your dog has ingested chocolate. If the ingestion was recent, your vet may recommend inducing vomiting and can give you instructions unique to your dog for care. If the ingestion was not recent, your vet may recommend bringing your dog in for care, or monitoring for signs of toxicity such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain or changes in behavior or appetite.