Hi stranger! Signing up for MypetMD is easy, free and puts the most relevant content at your fingertips.

Get Instant Access To

  • 24/7 alerts for pet-related recalls

  • Your own library of articles, blogs, and favorite pet names

  • Tools designed to keep your pets happy and healthy



or Connect with Facebook

By joining petMD, you agree to the Privacy Policy.


Q. Is chocolate bad for my dog?

Answered By
JULIA HENWOOD

A. Yes chocolate is toxic to dogs. The higher the cocoa content the more toxic it is. Therefore, less amount of 80% dark chocolate needs to be consumed compared to white chocolate before toxic signs can be appreciated.

Also, the weight of the dog is important in terms of the amounts needed to be ingested before toxic symptoms appear. Less than 1oz of milk chocolate per 1lb of bodyweight needs to be eaten to be potentially lethal and less than 0.1oz per 1lb of baking chocolate is needed to be potentially fatal. If you are unsure, you should always contact your vet or emergency vet straight after ingestion.

If your dog has eaten more than the toxic amount, vomiting needs to be induced within two hours of ingestion. Clinical signs usually occur within 6-12 hours post ingestion. Mild signs can include increased thirst, restlessness, vomiting and diarrhea. More severe signs can include hyperactivity, increased urination, muscle tremors, unbalanced/uncoordinated, seizures, increased heart rate, increased breathing, coma and death.


DISCLAIMER: The answers in Ask petMD are meant to provide entertainment and education. They should not take the place of a vet visit. Please see our Terms and Conditions.

CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

Ask an expert about your unique situation now FOR FREE!

IMPORTANT: The opinions expressed in Ask petMD content area are solely those of the User, who may or may not have medical or scientific training. Our Ask petMD experts include veterinarians, vet techs, veterinary students, pet trainers, pet behaviorists and pet nutritionists. These opinions do not represent the opinions of petMD. User-generated content areas are not reviewed by a petMD veterinarian or any member of the petMD editorial staff for accuracy, balance, objectivity, timeliness, or any other reason except for compliance with our Terms and Conditions. petMD does not endorse any specific product, service, or treatment. Do not consider petMD user-generated content as medical advice. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your veterinarian or other qualified healthcare provider because of something you have read on petMD.